THOMAS R. “RANDY” LILLESTON
8012 Jackson Road
Alexandria, VA 22308
Senior-level editor and manager with extensive experience on digital and print platforms. Proven experience at building teams, increasing audience size and executing news strategy. Producer and editor of award-winning journalism for some of the nation's largest and most respected news organizations. Former editor-in-chief of successful digital business news startup.
2014-2017: Editor-in-Chief, Industry Dive, Washington
· Oversaw all aspects of editorial operation for emerging digital business-to-business publisher that publishes 14 daily and 16 weekly newsletters, along with a dozen websites and numerous one-off products.
· Hired, trained and supervised rapidly growing editorial staff (full-time staff grew from five to 25 in three years).
· Personally oversaw health care and biopharma beats; helped plan and launch biopharma, CIO, food, HR, marketing and supply chain beats.
2008-2014: Supervising editor, digital news, NPR.org, Washington
· Oversaw teams responsible for home page and breaking news. Helped establish and implement breaking news strategy for NPR's digital products.
· Supervised as many as 13 staffers.
· Audience size more than tripled during my tenure.
· Site won numerous major national awards during my tenure, including Edward R. Murrow award for best radio network/syndication service website, 2011 and 2010; George Foster Peabody Award, 2010; Editor & Publisher ‘EPPY’ award for best news website, 2012, 2010.
2004-2008: Digital News section and continuous news desk editor, USA Today/Deputy news editor, USAToday.com, McLean, VA
· Lead editor and supervisor of News section of USAToday.com from 1-06 until 12-08. Also oversaw rewrite/continuous news desk of USA Today from 8-06 until 12-08. The desk served as the centerpiece of USA Today's efforts to integrate its newspaper and digital staffs.
· Supervised as many as 13 people.
· Also oversaw home page team of USAToday.com in 2006. From 1/04 until 12/05, oversaw political coverage and wrote breaking news for website.
· Site won award for general excellence from the Online News Association in 2007.
2001-2004: Senior editor, AOL News/Managing editor of local news, AOL Local, Dulles, VA
· In managing editor’s post, oversaw the editing and placement of local news feeds for various AOL products and supervised eight contract employees.
· In senior editor's post, edited news articles, built video packages and edited the news Welcome screen.
1999-2001: Senior editor of politics section, CNN.com, Washington
· Planned daily political news coverage and helped plan special projects, including CNN.com's coverage of the 2000 election.
· Supervised staff of as many as nine.
Bachelor of science, journalism, University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, MO.
of student newspaper, spring term junior year; sports editor, senior year; vice
president of student chapter of Society of Professional Journalists, senior
year; vice president of Missouri College Newspaper Association, senior year.
· Experienced with monitoring and evaluating online metrics.
· Active in social media, particularly Facebook and Twitter.
· Very familiar with computer hardware; build my own computers from parts.
· Solid basic knowledge of HTML and many widely used commercial software packages.